Mind Boggling Email Marketing Stats for 2022

Rushed for time? CLICK HERE to download
this post as PDF to read at your leisure

One of the oldest and most effective marketing strategies is email marketing, and in fact email ROI is a mind blowing $36 for every $1 spent.

For your reading pleasure and possible astonishment, here is a list of email marketing statistics to demonstrate just how powerful email can be.

The stats come from all over the place, the data was compiled by Hubspot and the sometimes snarky comments in italics are all mine.

There are 4 billion daily email users. This number is expected to climb to 4.6 billion by 2025. (Statista, 2021) The key here is people check their email at least once per day, and most of them check it more often than that.

64% of small businesses use email marketing to reach customers. (Campaign Monitor, 2021) I’m guessing the other 36% need someone to show them the way.

37% of brands are increasing their email budget, and just 1.3% are making cuts. (Litmus, 2021) Those 1.3% are, in my humble opinion, nuts.

The most effective strategies for email marketing campaigns are subscriber segmentation (78%), message personalization (72%), and email automation campaigns (71%). (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021) Are you taking notes?

33% of marketers send weekly emails and 26% send emails multiple times per month. (Databox, 2022) And they would get even better results if they sent daily.

63% of businesses reduce the frequency of emails send to subscribers based on their levels of engagement.  (Databox, 2022) If your reader isn’t opening the email, I suggest you increase the number of emails you send. Bug them until they either engage or unsubscribe.

77% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement over the last 12 months. (Not Another State of Marketing, 2021) Take THAT all you ‘email is dead’ whiners.

Globally, Fridays see the highest email open rates (nearly 19%), compared to the lowest open rates (17%) on Saturdays. (Campaign Monitor, 2021) So, not much difference, really. And remember, not’s not about opens as much as it’s about engagement. If only 17% open the email but all 17% click the link, whereas on Friday only 2% clicked the link, then Saturday is a great day to send emails. In fact, you might send 2 or 3 that day.

The most effective email subject lines engage curiosity, include promotional offers, and are personalized to each recipient’s interests. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021) Again, are you taking notes?

QA, A/B, and spam testing your emails leads to higher ROI. Enjoy up to a 28% higher return when you put testing to work for your email program. (Litmus, 2022) As I always say, test, test and then test some more.

81% of B2B marketers say their most used form of content marketing is email newsletters. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020) Because it WORKS.

64% of B2B marketers say their email marketing strategy was effective for meeting business goals in 2021. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021) And the other 36% need help. Maybe your help?

15.8% of all emails go missing or have been caught by popular spam filters. (Email Tool Tester, 2022) @#$%&%#$@#$%!!

A majority of email views come from mobile devices (41%), followed by desktop (39%). (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021) Repeat after me… optimize for mobile, optimize for mobile…

Nearly 55% of global website traffic is generated from mobile devices, excluding tablets. (Statista, 2022) Optimize for mobile, optimize for mobile…

Nearly 1 in 5 email campaigns is not optimized for mobile devices. (SuperOffice, 2020) Are you the 1 in 5?

Launching a mobile-responsive email design can increase unique mobile clicks by 15%. (MailChimp, 2021) More clicks, more sales

50% of people buy from marketing emails at least once per month. (Salecycle, 2022) FIFTY PERCENT!

Your audience will reward you with higher open and click rates if you don’t send more than five newsletters a week. (GetResponse, 2020) This depends on you, your emails, your market and your subscribers. As always, TEST.

60% of retail, e-commerce, and consumer goods and services companies are personalizing emails based on past purchases, versus 38% in 2019. (Litmus, 2020) List segmentation is no longer an option.

More than 8 out of 10 people will open a welcome email, generating 4x as many opens and 10x as many clicks as other email types. (GetResponse, 2020) This is your most valuable email – make it count. Place a special offer inside the welcome email that your new subscriber cannot resist clicking.

Nearly 22% of all email campaigns are opened within the first hour of sending. (GetResponse, 2020) Resend to all those who do not open the first email.

99% of email users check their inbox every day, with some checking 20 times a day. Of those people, 58% of consumers check their email first thing in the morning. (OptinMonster, 2020) Email marketing WORKS.

35% of survey respondents in the U.S. have two email addresses and 28% have over four.  (Statista, 2021) Ask for their BEST email address because you will be sending valuable stuff and they don’t want to miss it.

Recognizing a sender is the most important factor in deciding to open an email, followed by actually having the time to read an email.  (Pathwire, 2021) Surprisingly, the subject line is only the third most important factor in getting emails opened. Sending the email when readers most likely have the time to read it as well as making yourself likeable, memorable and trustworthy are paramount.

59% of Millennials primarily use their smartphone to check email, while 67% of Generation Z scans their inbox on mobile. (Bluecore, 2021) Yes, young people are on email.

74% of Baby Boomers think email is the most personal channel to receive communications from brands, followed by 72% of Gen X, 64% of Millennials, and 60% of Gen Z. (Bluecore, 2021) They expect your emails so don’t disappoint them. Email your list often so they know you haven’t forgotten them. And make an offer in every email, even if it’s just in the P.S.

The most significant steps marketers take to champion accessibility when creating their emails is writing short, descriptive subject lines, making links and buttons easy to see, and keeping paragraphs short and simple. (Pathwire, 2021) Good tips!

You might want to go back and reread this list, making notes on how you can improve your own email campaigns.

And if anyone ever tries to tell you that email marketing is dead, I suggest you let them think that while you make your money through email marketing. Why create unnecessary competition, right? ?


Rushed for time? CLICK HERE to download
this post as PDF to read at your leisure


You may also like...